Welcome to Love of Place. Most of my work celebrates our connection to the natural world.

Most recently, my Knocking on Heaven's Door is the winner in the category of science fiction in the 2016 New Mexico/Arizona Book Awards and in the category of fiction in the 2016 Arizona Authors Association Awards. A number of reviewers have been enthusiastic, including the website Geeks of Doom, which makes me smile. Not many people know me as a geek of doom! But I am happy to embrace the complexity of my personality.

I'm also so pleased that Diary of a Citizen Scientist: Chasing Tiger Beetles and Other New Ways of Engaging the World has been awarded the 2016 John Burroughs Medal for Distinguished Nature Writing, as well as the 2014 WILLA Award for Creative Nonfiction from Women Writing the West.

My historical fantasy Teresa of the New World won the 2015 Arizona Authors Association Award for best Children's Literature and was a finalist for the New Mexico/Arizona Book Award for Children's Literature, the WILLA Award for Children's Literature, and the May Sarton Award for Children's Literature.

These are nice landmarks in a writer's life. I would be writing regardless--but, still, whew. It's good to have some encouragement.

Feel free to contact me at http://www.sharmanaptrussell.com or through my author Facebook page, Sharman Apt Russell.


Sunday, July 7, 2013

Netwings



The Fourth of July weekend is over with only spotty rain where I live—although we see it over there. Over there, someone is getting wet. I drive over to the Mogollon Box Campground on the Gila River where Western red bellied tiger beetles are skittering on the bank and hunting in the grass and sedge. After I collect ten of them, I pause before a bush of flowering white clover, the bush fairly winged with so many pollinators and so many different species. The monarch: bright-orange edged with black like the panes of a stained-glass window. The common buckeye: softly brown like deerskin, its dark eyespots ringed in yellow. The fluttering cabbage white: whose caterpillar was found to measure daylight using pigments in the blood, able to distinguish between fourteen hours and fourteen and a half. The fluttering checkered white. The fluttering clouded sulfur.  The fluttering Western pygmy blue. The fluttering hairstreak. 

And all the pairs of mating netwings, orange soft-bodied black-banded beetles with long black segmented antenna, scattered on the flowering bush like confetti or, on second look, like couples making-out at a high school party.

(And the sound of water flowing with no end. No stopping point, the river sound, water over rock, water and water and water without pause or interruption, all day, all night, all day, all night. Perhaps it’s the desert in me that finds this so stupefying.)

Photo by Elroy Limmer

No comments: